Plankton: Undersea Adventure

Housing for low income families.

Moderators: nuero, Ando

gingermuffins

Plankton: Undersea Adventure

Post by gingermuffins »

That max-speed mouse-controlled game I was talking about is <s>just about</s> done.
(It's short)

<s>I'll finish up the last few boards sometime and link to it next week for testing before uploading.</s> It's more or less done. <s>I'll just upload a</s> beta is uploaded.

You'll need to run it under dosbox at 3000 cycles: that's what I tested it under. It will run way too fast under regular DOS or windows.

Those peeps with the dosbox slowdown issue: sorry, I don't think I can do anything about that :(

fuck i should have made it about flying
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

Neat. I especially like the barrel on the mast, and the way you did the invisible maze. As for DosBox slowing down after a few minutes on OS X (if that's the slowdown problem you're talking about), that isn't a fatal problem: you can either save and restore every few minutes, or just run an earlier version of DosBox.

Are you planning on releasing a non-beta version?
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

I thought about adding more content, but it's annoying to edit. I made it in dosbox because I thought it would make the timing consistent across all machines. The speed still fluctuates something horrible ingame, though.

I wanted object tentacles and stuff but it didn't work out, so all the enemies are single objects.

If there's no problems, I'll tweak the enemies and make it 1.0 at some point in the near future.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

my machine is too decrepit to run dosbox
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

don't worry, you're not missing much

edit fuck i should have made it about flying
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

You could try a slow-down utility like Mo'Slo. There are probably others - just check the utilities section of your favorite abandonware site.

Also, you can still play the game by setting the speed to second-highest. I don't think it would be irritatingly slow, but it would be a whole lot easier, and you'd just be playing the game for the artwork.
Ellypses
Whaf yew vauhnt?

Post by Ellypses »

I didn't like Mo'Slo myself because it slows downs the sound along side with the game itself (as in sound would count as idle to everything in-game).

Plus it hard to tell how exactly fast you attended the game to be by words alone. hmm...

If you was to come out with the next beta, you could add something like "configuration test". It's to test the speed ingame or something, like one object measuring ticks, and another object moving back and forward to measure movement speed, and a description that tell what the speed should fall between.

I kinda did what quantum said with setting it to the second fastest(s2).

Object tenticals sounds very interesting to program. Is you gonna leave it with single objects enemies in the future?
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

I'll add a speed test file that shows the approximate speed (and the speed fluctuation problem with too many objects) before the archive is updated.

The object tentacles -- I was thinking of making something similar to the old man's cane in secret raid, except with lots of objects swirling around as one element. It was too slow and tedious to program so I abandoned the idea (they were going to be in the purple/yellow area.)

I think I'm finished with it, though. It was more of a tangent than a serious project; I've got better stuff on the way :)

edit fuck i should have made it about flying