ZZT Tests

Housing for low income families.

Moderators: nuero, Ando

j_hunter
newcomer

ZZT Tests

Post by j_hunter »

I have two things to say:
1. I'm in the middle of developing a series of Personality Tests which can be answered in ZZT. One rates your personality, another rates your gaming personality, and the last rates your ZZT personality.
I'm using flags, and it's going to take AGES to put all of the personality descriptions into the game (there are about forty, and I'm writing a paragraph on each).
Any ideas on a better "test" engine?

2. I'm also developing a game about a day at school, in which you have to use the inventory engine and a timetable engine to navigate classes, as well as thwart the twisted plans of the Principal/Art teacher. I've made a few boards, and apart from my terrible graphical skills, it's looking okay.
J. Hunter
ZZ Top
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

You could maybe use one of the game counters and have the objects check the number to deliver a description.

Testing for a specific value on a counter can be tricky in zzt though depending on what you want to do.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

You could have an object that moves up and down on the board depending on the answers given, and have objects in a straight line parallel to the object check if they're blocked in the direction of the moving object.

Code: Select all

|
    |
    |
   0|
    |
The one that is blocked will give out a response.

You can make multiple lines for added dimension i guess

if you don't want the player to see this just make everything black after you're done fiddling. kevedit has a nice feature that lets you paint over objects and change only their colour value and nothing else. Just press A and then D, set colour to black on black, and then TAB over it all. (back up your file beforehand in case something goes wrong!)
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

How many questions per test?
j_hunter
newcomer

Post by j_hunter »

Thanks for all the help, guys. There's three questions in each test. The first and last test have three answers for each question (A, B, Cx6) and the second test has two answers for the first question (A, B) and three for the last two (A, B, Cx2). That brings the total up to a possible 72 outcomes. I've just completed the first test, but none of my flags seem to work. I had the code like this:

@Question 1
#end
:touch
question goes here with
!a;Answer A
!b;Answer B
!c;Answer C
#end
:a
#set 1a
#send nextroomdoor:open
#zap touch
#end
I put :a's code for each letter (of course changing the letter) and then it was onto the next room where the object tested for answer 1.

question system and all that
#if 1a #set 2aa
#if 1b #set 2ba
#if 1c #set 2ca
#send nextroomdoor:open
#zap touch
#end
I did pretty much the same thing for :b and :c. Now, when I tested this out, it came up with in the actual game (once I had chosen !a;A for question 2):
1a #set 2aa
1b #set 2ba
1c #set 2ca
All in a message box, and then the door opened. Is there any way I can change this without creating a different label for all 27 of this tests possible answers in each question object?
J. Hunter
ZZ Top
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

I think this happens because you can't check for flags that start with a number.

In an empty file, if you plot an object with this program and run it...

@object
#if 1flag #become red fake
/i#a
...It will keep displaying "1flag #become red fake" at the bottom of the screen.

I don't know why this is, but if your flags begin with a letter, it ought to work.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

I think that's right about the numbers. Same for messages and labels too. My advice would be to have descriptions that add to each other That is having several messages strung together to look like a complete thought.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
j_hunter
newcomer

Post by j_hunter »

Okay, thank you very much! I'll try changing the flagnames.
J. Hunter
ZZ Top
j_hunter
newcomer

Post by j_hunter »

Sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to let you know that I've finished it and it's been uploaded. Thank you very much!
J. Hunter
ZZ Top
Shadow Mage
Naked Zombie Sean Connery

Post by Shadow Mage »

You can also just edit your previous post. Oh well...
Meh, can't beleive how little I come to these forums now.
mania-[ker]
Im Zamros

Post by mania-[ker] »

answering C for the tooth-brushing question results in an error that makes it so you can't see your results

just thought youd like to know
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! <3

Post by Dr. Dos »

That's his way of telling you to brush your teeth.

Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
MadTom
<:D

Post by MadTom »

BRUSH UP TOP
AND UNDERNEATH
AND BRUSH YOUR TONGUE
WHEN YOU BRUSH YOUR TEETH
YOU CAN EAT SCHNITZEL
OR YOU CAN EAT SWEETS
IT DOES NOT MATTER
IF YOU BRUSH YOUR TEETH
j_hunter
newcomer

Post by j_hunter »

Thanks mani-ker. I'll check that out right away.
Does it come up with "Err: Reconfigure" or a message saying you got to that board through the editor? Because I put "Err: Reconfigure" into it in case of flags not working, and the other message in case of cheating.

EDIT: Fixed up that bug, I'd forgotten to change the flags from the numbered ones. Reuploaded v1.1. Thank you!
J. Hunter
ZZ Top