a little something

Housing for low income families.

Moderators: nuero, Ando

Commodore
fgsdfs

a little something

Post by Commodore »

I'm a good 3000 miles from my computer so right now whatever I was working on is somewhere in limbo. In desparation in my free time (when my housemate is at school) I have started working on an rpg engine since I never really made one successfully (always got to ambitious). So I'm going to probably make something that's more like a clever assemblage of engines rather than a game. (story for example will be throwaway)

It might work out, we'll see. I'll probably get too ambitious with this too and make it like 3 files long of 20 kb packed engine boards.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
gingermuffins

Post by gingermuffins »

I love those kinds of elaborate zzt rpg engines!

What direction will you be taking it in? Can you describe it, or should it be a surprise?
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

i only ever used an rpg battle engine once, at the end of dragon woods

i made it myself and it sucked a lot!
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
MadTom
<:D

Post by MadTom »

I had three in GREED - Part Two, and that didn't work either. It's really only worth it if you can be bothered to program in a lot of different moves so that it takes real skill.

Usually I skip them in ZZT games. They're almost invariably boring. Chase Bramlage's Boof was an exception!
Alexis Janson
wacky morning DJ

Post by Alexis Janson »

i used one in the revival of richard ravenshead

it was the best rpg engine ever
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! &lt;3

Post by Dr. Dos »

I always get too lazy but I always wanted to port the engine legend of Legaia uses where you input how you attack and can do combos if you get certain moves.

Rogue Fur in So Long and Thanks For All the Yiff has one started.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

my plans (which seem workable right now) have two characters one a fighter, one a mage with 5 spells. I'm using health and torches as the two hit point counters. You can only fight one baddie at a time unfortunatly. What lacks in zzt rpg battles is a stratagy more complex than picking between a weak attack that hits often and a strong attack that misses often. I'm trying to beat that by adding a defend command, a run command, and by having spells like sleep. I hope to have three weapons for each character.

For the map segments I think I'm going to mangle my wasteland engine.

I think towns will be a menu based system, maybe not though.

There will be potions for overworld use only (too hard to code them into battle) There will also be experience points, and probably three or four levels which would affect your max hp and how successful you are at casting magic. Since I'm not using a MP counter, you'll be able to cast spells as much as you want but the chance of them backfiring is based on level.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
MadTom

Post by MadTom »

Well, may I suggest you make the rules and system as simple as you possibly can? One of the things that used to deter me was having to read like eight screenfuls of rules before starting the battles. That's why I couldn't even begin to like Appliance's Card Prime.

I really just like run-and-gun fighting better for that kind of thing. It's still possible to be quite creative with the AI.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

rules are pretty simple. Attack, Defend, Spell(five spells), Run. All selected by touching objects. (no blue screen menu)

risk casting a spell and you may or may not hurt yourself based on level of experience. Try and kill the baddie. Weapons and potions are dealt with entirely outside of battle in towns or on the world map. No blue text boxes will pop up during battle.

I'm trying to make it fast paced.

The thing that is hanging over my head the most is making a clean way to enter the battle board over and over again which entails reseting the board and teleporting in and out.

I think I can get away with complicating the rules slightly so long as the user interface I design is intuitive.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
MadTom

Post by MadTom »

Commodore wrote:so long as the user interface I design is intuitive.
Yeah, and interesting.
mania-[ker]
Im Zamros

Post by mania-[ker] »

how about for a battle you try and shoot the bad guy but you also have to avoid the bad guy shooting at you
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

i don't know, sounds hard to program.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

I made a title screen, without the title (CAUSE I DON'T HAVE ONE YET)

*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

cool beans :ssj:
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Zandor 12
What has science done???

Post by Zandor 12 »

Wish I had a rocket car that nice.