InfoSponge
Official Clamp School Defender
Location: 1. n. a place of settlement, activity, or residence

Post by InfoSponge »

you're nadir
BossOfTheLightning
newcomer

Post by BossOfTheLightning »

Thanks Nadir. Here are some screenshots of my project. These boards and the char set I made before I stopped working on my game a few years ago. Could use a bit more shading.

I finished the char set a few days ago.

Now I have to figure out what kind of special abilities will make it into the final game and how they will flow with the levels. Besides the char set, engine and levels shown in the pictures above the rest of the game is just imagination so far.
zamros
my power level is enormous

Post by zamros »

i'd love it if the game looked more like the Cast of Characters board than the other boards. What gets me about the others is the name of the game and controls at the bottom of EVERY BOARD! you don't need that....... fill it with something better!!!!!!
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

I agree with what zamros said. I like the way the game looks.

I don't know how much of the char set you've used in your font but I think at least a few grass graphics and a texture for tree bark would help the look. i like how you blanked the char 1 to make the engine's guts invisible.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
RobertP
gore Arnold

Post by RobertP »

It's good. Take the advice Commodore and Zamros gave you. The last board looks like a different game - it looks like something entirely new and very inviting to play! But I have to say I like the other, more 'traditional ZZT' boards with the blocks and the shades as well.

Keep us informed!

Edit: since I'm posting here - I'm working on Sector 9. Archangel, if you're reading this, I'm overhauling your objects because they're a mess! But I promise to keep the rest of your vision intact.
My waste is my weapon.
InfoSponge
Official Clamp School Defender
Location: 1. n. a place of settlement, activity, or residence

Post by InfoSponge »

zamros is right on the money. Something more dynamic, more interesting to look at, or more important to gameplay should definitely feature into your HUD. I'd suggest making a more visual representation for health, score, torches... something like that. It means a bit more work.. and a few more objects, which could pose issues, but it would be fucking sweet. Sure, you've already got the health and gems and points counters on the side, but then, you've got the movement and shooting instructions on the side, too...

And honestly, which would you rather see? A static explanation of instructions right next to another static explanation of instructions... or a dynamic visual representation interpreting the static character-based information next to it?

A health bar would be quite easy. A wolfenstein-style portrait that gets more and more fucked up as your health gets lower would be fucking awesome, but well, that almost sounds like the basis of an entire project in and of itself.

The tree background is fucking awesome.

The purist in me really loves the straight-ZZT backgrounds and visuals you've got going, but I also really enjoy the new char-set you made. The red and blue outlines on the black are really nice, they make a sweet-looking level. Something tells me the game is going to feature both styles, and shift from the traditional to the customized. I hope this is the case.

Look forward to seeing more.
:adomisfreewareyoudontneedacrackorserialnumbertopl
Microwave
hi

Post by Microwave »

The game looks good; each board has its own atmospheric feel. Would be cool if some ambient background music was included, but seems like a hard task with pc speaker music. Maybe ultra low notes playing at times in the background with sharp higher notes coming in on the cave level.
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

that char set board reminds me of "jet set willy", which is no bad thing. i dig it!
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

about 8/9 more boards to go.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

i'm seeing a jet-powered toilet and a large cat made entirely from red normals standing atop a ladder in that picture, which is apparently also inside a space station. i.. i am intrigued.
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

I am reminded of Freak da Cat, and that game was awesome. Therefore this game will be awesome.
BossOfTheLightning
newcomer

Post by BossOfTheLightning »

Appreciate the advice and the comments!

Yeah having the instructions at the bottom of every level wasn't my best idea. The final HUD layout will probably look similar to what is in the video and image below however I may add another feature that will expand it a bit. Something like a timed button mashing system for certain events (like when your character gets stuck in slime). Then give the HUD a bit of shading.

The original plan was to have two different games. One that had that more traditional look with the shaded walls/fakes/etc. and the other with the 'Jet Set Willy' look. In the end I just decided to use both. The only problem is that the player abilities destroy the background on some of the levels (as you can see in the video below).

http://s694.photobucket.com/albums/vv30 ... cedemo.flv
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

excellent, I like the centipedes as platforms. I'm assuming all these abilities wouldn't be available from the start though?
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*