WoZ 2006 #3!

In your adventures through the Town of ZZT, you have been captured by the evil Dungeon Guards. Not recognizing you as the great escape artist you are, the guards have thrown you in the Dungeons of ZZT.

Moderator: zamros

bustaballs
1 full minit uv 1 secend mesiges

Post by bustaballs »

WoZ #1 of 2006 rules:
Posted by Kjorteo at 5:36AM, January 6, 2006
The contest has begun! Like I said before, you get three topics and one of them is kind of silly. Normally you just get two, so consider this two and a half.

Your topics are RELIGION, REVENGE, and FANFICTION.

And before you think "Oh great, topics, that's all I needed to know and off I go," read the damn rules, because I've made some changes from previous WoZ competitions and you really don't want to be disqualified.

Rules of the Weekend of ZZT:

* You have from when you read this message until 8:00 PM Mountain Standard Time (GMT -07:00) on Monday, January 9 to make a ZZT game that primarily revolves around one of the three topics. You may use more than one if you want, but I will not give extra points for trying too hard to incorporate everything. External editors like ZZTAE and KevEdit are allowed.
* You may submit the same game an infinite number of times (for bugfixes and such) as long as you are clear which version we're actually supposed to judge. You may submit up to three different games, but please try to focus on quality over quantity.
* All submissions are to be done by e-mailing them to husky@kjorteo.net as an attachment.
* Your lead judge is me, Kjorteo Kalante. Your associate judges are Zenith Nadir and Flimsy Parkins. They are each under a strict ten-day time limit from when they receive the games to when the scores are due. If either of them fail to get their scores back to me on time, or if they fail to take their judging and scores seriously, they will be removed, their scores discounted, and the overall average will be calculated without them. An absolute dead tie is almost completely impossible, but if, if it happens, I will break the tie myself.
* ABSOLUTELY NO SUBMISSIONS ALLOWED DURING THE FIRST DAY. NO EXCEPTIONS. If you submit anything during the first day, it WILL NOT be counted. AT ALL.
* Submissions are still not allowed on the second day, but I may take them if you have a convincing sob story on why I have to, such as being out of town on the final day. I will decide this on personal whim and your excuse had better be good. Otherwise, wait until the final day.
* Submissions will be accepted and counted as normal on the third and final day. This is when you turn in your work!
* 8:00 PM Mountain Standard Time is the absolute cutoff. Anything received at 8:01 PM or later will not be accepted. This may seem harsh, as other WoZ contests have traditionally allowed several hours for a grace period. Consider, though, that I am posting this significantly earlier than 8:00 PM MST on the start day. Hell, it's not even 8:00 AM MST yet. Therefore, this is your grace period.
* All blatant junk and pointless joke entries will be disqualified on sight. They will not be counted, scored, judged, included in the overall WoZ compilation, or discussed in any way. I'm not even giving them to Nadir and Flimsy. They will not count for anything, at all, ever.
* At the end of the competition, Nadir, Flimsy and I will judge all games based on overall quality as well as adherance to the chosen theme, and graded on an overall score of 1 to 10. If either Nadir or Flimsy score games on some weird scale, I will convert it with math to a 1 to 10 scale before averaging. If either Nadir or Flimsy break scores down into complicated subcategories ("I give it a 2 for music, 8 for plot, 7 for graphics....") and neglect to state an overall score, I will average all their scores with math into one overall score, and only count that. If either Nadir or Flimsy pull any weird crap on their scoring just to screw with me, they will be removed as a judge--see bullet point number 4. Once everyone's scores have been hammered into a standard 1-10 overall system for each judge, they will be averaged into one big overall score, and the person with the highest overall score will be the winner.
* It is the sacred right of the winner of this WoZ to host the next one. Should the winner not want to host the next one, the matter of who gets to will simply be discussed and debated on the Z2 fora.
* All non-disqualified entries will be placed with a text file with their overall scores, and released as a Weekend of ZZT compilation on Z2. Even if you don't win, all ZZT enthusiasts will at least get to check out your groovy game!

That's it! Get busy!
The WoZ #2 2006 has a thread stickied in this section. You can check there for previous info. It seems the rules can change a little each time so be sure to look out for that.
graa
MEMBER RANK

Post by graa »

I apologize that I forgot about this completely until Quantum P just mailed me about it. I would most likely be absolutely worthless as a host and judge, so:

MADTOM, I CHOOSE YOU
MadTom
<:D

Post by MadTom »

OK.

How does sometime in early January sound, for a start? I was going to suggest the 5th (Fri) to the 7th (Sun). Do Americans have exams or term papers at about that time?

Also, I'd like two judges.

besides me, that is. -mt
Last edited by MadTom on Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
bustaballs

Post by bustaballs »

Finals are over in Oklahoma, USA. New semester starts on the 8th. That sounds like a fine time for WoZ to me. =)
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! &lt;3

Post by Dr. Dos »

The big research paper for my senior project is due on January 10th.

Anytime afterwards is golden.
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.
Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

Post by Ando »

Fine for anything and everything; I have almost nothing to do aside from getting my driver's license.
mania-[ker]
Im Zamros

Post by mania-[ker] »

ZAMROS WOULD LIKE TO RECOMMEND THE WEEKEND OF JANUARY 12TH. WE GET MONDAY OFF BECAUSE OF MARTIN LUTHER KING. IT IS IDEAL FOR ALL INVOLVED (ESPECIALLY AMERICANS)

:blazkowicz: :blazkowicz: :blazkowicz:
MadTom

Post by MadTom »

awesome, thank you zamros

Evening of 12th January (Friday) to 14th January (Sunday), then? That works out fine for me.

I'd like to make a list of potential judges and participants, too

Judges

MadTom

Competitors

Ando
Commodore
hyde`
Jotz
Last edited by MadTom on Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pancake
grand wizard cyclops

Post by Pancake »

The dates sound good to me. Like Zamros had mentioned, having the competition take place on the weekend of Marian Luther King Junior day would work out for most people because of the three-day weekend. I don't do exams yet, so I don't worry about that, but I can see that those who do would worry about the date for that.

Sign me up as a competitor!
Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

Post by Ando »

Those seem like good dates to me. Sure, why not? Count me in.
MadTom

Post by MadTom »

All right, we'll have those as the tentative dates, then.

I'll make a simple page for the uploads, similar to phunk's old scripts, and host it on Z2. As before, I'll use two topics, and you can choose either or both.

I'm going to reuse my rules from the last contest I hosted, which were as follows. Does anyone have any problems with these? I've added one more rule to the originals.

1) You have exactly 72 hours from the time the topic is announced to make and submit your entry. Late entries will be disqualified.
The only possible exception I might make to this is if someone has problems with the upload script. If this happens to you, send it via e-mail to tyrmored@gmail.com.

2) You must stay on topic.
This doesn't mean simply mentioning the topic in passing. Your game must include some pervading sensible interpretation of one (or more) of the given topics. Just how you interpret it is up to you.

3) Your game will be played in ZZT 3.2.
You may use WiL's ZZT 4.0 or any other edited ZZT executable for editing and testing, but if the game fails in ZZT 3.2, it will be described as a bug.

4) You use the classic editor, ZZTAE, and KevEdit. You may use Quill and ZZT Piano. You may use any pure text editor. You may generate code with your own programs or scripts.
Input from any other application, including (but not limited to) BG_ASCII and ZBitmap, is not allowed. Give credit to authors whose programs you use.

5) You may use any graphical element toolkit.
STK boards and toolkits like Suburbia Triumphant are fine, for those of you who still use them. Don't forget to leave the toolkit board in your game, though.

6) All writing, programming, sound, music, and graphics must be your own original work, made within the time period assigned.
We'll make exceptions for little things like Viovis' mixer or yenrab's One Object Fire, but not for an Ibag inventory system, the 'Look Into My Eyes' theme from Evil Sorceror's Party, or that board from Frost 1; Power where Henna fires a bolt into the kraken's eye. You have to do it yourself.

7) You may ultimately submit only one entry.
If you find a bug in your game, you may reupload within the time period at your discretion, as long as you make it clear which is the version to be judged.

8) You may not work in teams.
Simple enough. If you have enough time, you can get someone to beta your finished game for you. Evidence of any further contribution will be frowned upon by judges, particularly me.

9) Joke entries, flaming entries, and irrelevant entries will be automatically disqualified.
I'll release them in the ZIP file of all entries, though, because sometimes they're funny.
bustaballs

Post by bustaballs »

=( No teams. I was gonna have a buddy whip up some tunes for me.
MadTom

Post by MadTom »

The reason for that rule is that people who are friends with good musicians or artists would be at an unfair advantage.

Most people don't like ZZT music, anyway. I do, but chances are that my two judges won't.

Also, about that. I wanted Commodore to judge. I was also thinking about asking Oof.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

I'll judge under the condition that if I end up submiting something I don't have to, cause I'd still like to try (depending on what that weekend looks like for me)
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Dr. Dos
OH YES! USE VINE WHIP! &lt;3

Post by Dr. Dos »

Commodore wrote:I'll judge under the condition that if I end up submiting something I don't have to, cause I'd still like to try (depending on what that weekend looks like for me)
That's what I do jerk >:(
Visit the Museum of ZZT
Follow Worlds of ZZT on Twitter

Apologies for the old post you may have just read.