The Freeware Thread

If you want to act like He-Man, grab a sword and stand on the peak of one the mountains in Valua then stick your sword into the sky screaming "I HAVE THE POWER!!".Then get struck by lightning just like He-Man.

Moderator: Commodore

Aplsos
ill make a meal of you

Post by Aplsos »

r
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

Schrödinger's Cat wrote:Star Guard is a retro shooter. Reminds me of some older arcade games. Commodore might like it.
I do! The jumping is a little weird and my hand cramped up when I got to the wizard so I quit but now I have to do it all over again :(
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Surlent
Oh man not him again

Post by Surlent »

Damn it Commodore, I came on here just to post that Digital: A Love Story game. =( Here's hoping you all haven't seen Steel Storm.

To quote the wobsite (http://www.steel-storm.com/):

“Steel Storm is an old school top down arcade shooter with score oriented competitive gameplay, and is designed for people who like fast paced action and have limited amounts of time to play computer games.

The events take place in an alternative universe where you control an advanced hovertank, packed with the most advanced and sophisticated weapons. Your task is simple, but, nevertheless, is not trivial. In the fight with presumed extraterrestrial invaders, you must prevail!”

Fairly decent, and multi-platform to boot.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

I need a new computer :( fun but skips frames even at 640x480
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Zandor 12
What has science done???

Post by Zandor 12 »

Commodore wrote:skyroads clone with editor and first person mode for pc/linux/mac

http://www.tastystatic.com/
I know I'm late to the party but anybody who hasn't played this yet needs to check it out. It's probably even harder than the original Skyroads if such a thing's possible.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

yes, but it might not be harder than skyroad x-mas edition.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

Has anyone here beaten Tasty Static (by which I mean, completed each level at least once)? I've done everything except The Source, roads 1-3.

I have no idea why anyone would enable the "backwards" extra.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

the first person mode is actually pretty useless too. :P

No I haven't gotten that far, kudos to you though, some of those tracks are bloody hard.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

Well, I have been kind of cheating. For the really hard jumps, I've been using a program that puts transparent rulers and guidelines on the screen (it's intended for graphic designers). Jump when the tip of the platform meets the guideline, move the guideline up/down if you jumped too late/soon, repeat until you make the jump. It's still really hard to jump at the right time, though, and even with guidelines it's a 50/50 shot.

In other news, I didn't find this on the fora:

Warzone 2100

It's your standard real-time-strategy game: build a base, build units, destroy enemy base, capture more advanced technology. It reminds me of The Road Warrior: you drive armed cars around a post-apocalyptic landscape, shooting up scavenger camps and looking for oil. Formerly payware, but the company released the game as open-source a while back.

Cool stuff: You can do artillery spotting: you send a recon unit ahead to find targets, while your artillery sits somewhere safe, like up on a ridge or behind a hill. The recon tells the artillery where to fire, and voila, you can blow up stuff without getting too close! You can also build commanders, which lead groups of units into battle and boost their experience levels. Units can be customized, which is kind of neat.

Downsides: It can be really frustrating if you don't play it the way it was meant to be played. You're supposed to give your units lots of space and let them manage themselves; it's quite different from Command & Conquer, and until I realized that, the game wasn't that much fun. Your units will do stupid things, and when stuff's blowing up, you'll want to keep a close eye on them. You might even want to play the game at 1/3 speed.

tl;dr: Warzone 2100 is fun, but it's different in ways that might not be intuitive. Skim the online documentation first, especially the general tips and strategies.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

Hey that looks a lot like emperor:dune! can't be a bad thing, but it makes me sad that something that looks like that is free when I paid 40 bucks for emperor.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

Did you buy Emperor when it came out or just recently? Warzone wasn't free until 2004 (and sound/videos weren't freed until 2008).
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

When I bought that game it wasn't new, but still in stores. I enjoyed it, a little easy in parts.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
tapeworm
Help computer.

Post by tapeworm »

Surlent
Oh man not him again

Post by Surlent »

That first one was quite a trip. I'm not sure if there's a name for these kind of games, but they're always fascinating. Things like this, or Foreverhood, or even Tower of Heaven...Alpha Waves too. All built by feeling and sound to varying degrees. I don't usually give half a damn about art, but this sort of thing I could stand liking without feeling like some sort of hipster. Not quite sure what to make of the second one though, as it ended with the narrator screaming at me to die while the word-world floated around.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

*POW* *CLANK* *PING*