So like I was wondering...

If you want to act like He-Man, grab a sword and stand on the peak of one the mountains in Valua then stick your sword into the sky screaming "I HAVE THE POWER!!".Then get struck by lightning just like He-Man.

Moderator: Commodore

Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

So like I was wondering...

Post by Ando »

I like the Civilization series. A lot. So much, that I think about it all the time. It's a shame that the computers here can just barely play Civilization IV, but Civilization III is still awesome so yeah. Although you can't build towns on mountains like you can in Civilization II. I miss that :(

Anyways here is the point. Does anybody know any free games (either online or freeware) that are really similar to Civilization, or at least just as awesome? Because I need my fix.

Thanks. :tie:
bustaballs
1 full minit uv 1 secend mesiges

Post by bustaballs »

I'm not sure if there are any games that have a very close resemblance to the Civ games but there are quite a few very nice turn-based strategy games although I'm sure you already know this.

My favorite PC series is Heroes of Might and Magic. I enjoyed King's Bounty, along with Heroes 1-4. Other popular turn-based strategy games include Age of Wonders, Colonization, X-COM, Master of Orion, and Jagged Alliance. There are also a number of decent indie games out there as well.

I don't know if this helps you any but I tried.
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

There's Advanced Civilization, a game that was inspired by Avalon Hill's Civilization, the board game that inspired Sid Meier's Civilization.

...And, if there's one thing we've learned on the Internet, it's that we can always count on Russia and Eastern Europe. (Civilization and Civilization 2)
MadTom
<:D

Post by MadTom »

You might like Freeciv. I haven't tried it yet, but I hear GNU/Linux users raving about it sometimes, and there are Windows installs. It looks to be somewhere between Civilization II and Civilization III in terms of complexity.

I'm not sure if you're saying you can't find Civilization III, but if you do find it, check out Civilization Fanatics. That's where all the addicts were going back when the game was worryingly popular, and the strategy guides they wrote are all still up. The attention they pay to detail there is kind of scary.

Something else you might like is OpenTTD. It's Transport Tycoon Deluxe rewritten for several platforms including Windows. You need a few graphics files from the original game that they couldn't distribute, but torrents aren't too difficult to find.
Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

Post by Ando »

Thanks guys!

I played Freeciv a few hours ago and I wasn't very impressed. Maybe it just needed a more powerful computer, though, because my laptop isn't that powerful (it's six years old! D:).

I've actually been to that site before. I like it! I'm going to download a bunch of stuff from it when I finally have the other computer working (I can only have Civilization III on that computer).
MadTom

Post by MadTom »

Get Snoopy's Terrain mod. It changes the appearance of the terrain, and it's much better than the original graphics, in my universally esteemed opinion. You might also like to try the Rise and Rule mod, which is pretty popular, but I tried it and hated it.

You do have Civilization III Complete, right? With the extra civilizations and rules that you get with Play the World and Conquests, right?
Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

Post by Ando »

I do have Play the World, but not Conquests.
Mister Lad
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by Mister Lad »

Does it have snoopy? I will play it if it does because I dont really care for Civilzation but i like Charlie Brown

ps SNOOPY CONCERT SNES is almost translated!!!
Mister Lad!!!!
<i>Who weares short shorts?
MISTER LAD THATS WHO!</i>
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

i'd play that game for sure

the snoopy one that is. civ is only okay at best
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

Post by Ando »

The Civilization series are pretty odd games because there are basically several ways to play it but I can really only come up with two or three strategies to raise my nation, at best. Also there are moments where I'm really in a Civilization mood and then months go by where I don't even really think about the game. It's strange.
Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

I'm the same way when it comes to fluctuating interest.
MadTom

Post by MadTom »

Me too. I played Civilization III obsessively for about two weeks a while ago, and since then I haven't touched it.
nps
so kawaii! so cute!

Post by nps »

yeah that's just like me and my cock :tie:
FSFunky
Fergalicious

Post by FSFunky »

Civilization ain't got shit on Alpha Centauri and you all know it.
FUNKY DEFINITION: MAKE THEM BOYS GO LOCO
nps
so kawaii! so cute!

Post by nps »

that's not like my cock. :rocket: