Steambot Chronicles

If you want to act like He-Man, grab a sword and stand on the peak of one the mountains in Valua then stick your sword into the sky screaming "I HAVE THE POWER!!".Then get struck by lightning just like He-Man.

Moderator: Commodore

tapeworm
Help computer.

Steambot Chronicles

Post by tapeworm »

In case you have a PS2 and don't know about this game, I recommend it. It's by Irem, which is a company that doesn't make very many games but every game that they make is very good.

Official Site

(In Japan, this game is called "Junk Romance Great Action Bumpy Trot.")

Ando
2SEXY4U
2SEXY4U

Post by Ando »

I really wanted to get this game but I heard that it sucked so I didn't.

But since you say otherwise then perhaps I should.

Yeah.
Aplsos
ill make a meal of you

Post by Aplsos »

they should have kept the japanese name!

or at least shortened it to "bumpy trot", that is such a wonderful name
r
tapeworm
Help computer.

Post by tapeworm »

Well, I can't guarantee that someone else would like it, but I certainly do. Here's an interesting response by Atlus (who translated the game into English) to some of the negative reviews:

Steambot Chronicles Reviews Post Mortem

I also prefer the original name. And the original cover art (in my initial post). The title screen is also a little annoying in the English version. But those are very minor things, really.
Mister Lad
Official Clamp School Defender

Post by Mister Lad »

GET READY FOR:
STEAMBOT CHRONICLES!

More like Get Pinafore!

I was looking forward to this game and preordered it in May.
It just arrived the other day!

But seriously guys...

This game is pretty fun for the first week or two. Running around towns being a cut-up with a rebellious haircut being rude to women and eating all the cheese will keep one entertained for a fair amount of time.

Unfortunately, I found that the areas you use your trotbot in, ie, most of the game, fell quite flat. The controls, while similar to Kalamari Damani, or rather, similar to the old Namco arcade tank game ASSAULT, are very stiff, and many areas of the game can be quite unforgiving. Getting blown up anywhere except for the colisseum results in an instant game over, and many times has this happened to me when I hadn't saved for a few hours.

The game isn't short on tasks for you to take on, although most of them wind up being the same thing. Haul lumber from A to B, haul water from A to B, taxi people from A to B...they all amount to the same quest. There are more interesting tasks you can take on, such as bringing fossils to a museum, dabbling in the old stock trade, and two of my favorite sidequests, helping out a painter, and visiting a remote village whose technology has stayed the same for the past 100 years, showing off your trotbot, and helping build them a railroad.

The cities, while there are only three of them, are spectacular. Happy Garland resembles London UK's Knightsbridge district, while Neuhaufen (annoying mispronounced as New Haven by the voice actors) is quite akin to a turn-of-the-century Brighton, Sussex UK. And don't forget to go to Neuhaufen if you want an afro ;););)

You can play in a band songs about wings and fairies or something too

The game also has two multiple paths (good and evil) with four or five different endings. You're also allowed to continue playing after the ending, and see what's going on in the world after all the events have taken place.

This is a game you're bound to play to death for a week or two, put down and forget about, and then pick up and play to death a few months later. I give it a 7/10 and I was very pleased to learn that Bumpy Trot 2 is currently in production. I believe you can find a few screenshots at 1up.com.

Also I belive Atlus were off the mark by advertising this as a Sandbox Game, as it is more like a non-linear JRPG than a sandbox game.

hi guys dont flame me for bringing up old topics this is just my review ESPECIALLY YOU, STACK.
Mister Lad!!!!
<i>Who weares short shorts?
MISTER LAD THATS WHO!</i>
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

This is my forum, stak has no power here. Carry on.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Stak
Watching you post

Post by Stak »

This is two threads in which you've spelled my nick wrong

I'll let it slide for now but one more time and

Well I'll probably just be kind of annoyed about it

Also didn't Irem make like a ton of shovelware back in the day
Mister Lad

Post by Mister Lad »

irem made hammerin harry and r-type but mainly hammerin harry.

thx!
Mister Lad!!!!
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

and metal storm, which is a pretty sweet nes game
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

metal storm rules
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Stak
Watching you post

Post by Stak »

okay I must have been thinking of Jaleco and the endless legion of final fight clones for the snes
Mister Lad

Post by Mister Lad »

But Jaleco also made City Connection which is best described as a delightful romp until you hit a cat at which point it turns sad!
Mister Lad!!!!
tapeworm
Help computer.

Re: Steambot Chronicles

Post by tapeworm »

Fortunately, it looks like Disaster Report 4 is going to be released after all. Though there doesn't seem to be any word of an English release so far. That game and Steambot Chronicles 2 were both canceled after the 2011 earthquake/tsunami.

:tie: