Animation and illustrated books

You're a bunch of Philistines really, aren't you?

Moderator: superbowl shuffle

Microwave
hi

Post by Microwave »

That show was a hoot.
Zandor 12
What has science done???

Post by Zandor 12 »

Freakazoid! is neat. A nerd gets sucked into the internet and absorbs all of its knowledge, creating the aforementioned superhero persona to cope. Freakazoid has the power of ridiculous speed, but prefers to defeat his (rather silly) enemies by acting like a lunatic. It was made by the guys who did Tiny Toons and Animaniacs, back before they started doing stuff I don't care for like Histeria and Toonsylvania. Easily one of the best of the 'Superhero Show that doesn't take itself seriously' genre (although the only other one I know of offhand is The Tick and I haven't seen much of that one).
Microwave
hi

Post by Microwave »

I brought Freakazoid! up the other night to my friend online, and then proceeded to watch an episode as it seemed amusing stoned. Damn, the show has really good background music. I love that kinda stuff, like with what they do in Tom and Jerry. "Ahh, fuck it, we can throw in some little zingers but let's do everything else with real instruments"
RobertP
gore Arnold

Post by RobertP »

Fat Dog Mendoza.

A good title for a cartoon. The setting was suburbia, there was a huge dog with a laidback attitude, a girl with purple hair, a boy with a head like an onion and another boy in superhero attire (though he had no actual super-abilities).

I watched it at night, when the Dutch cartoon channel switched over to it's American counterpart. I was 13 or 14, just old enough to be awake while everyone else was asleep, which was part of the fun, I guess.. but I remember really enjoying the show because of it was easy going and a little weird. It wasn't overtly funny and the strangeness of the characters wasn't exploited much in the jokes. Instead, all the odd types blended into the realistic environment of a suburban town, somewhere in America.

The colours were nice, too.
My waste is my weapon.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

flapjack is pretty awesome
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

RobertP wrote:Fat Dog Mendoza.

A good title for a cartoon. The setting was suburbia, there was a huge dog with a laidback attitude, a girl with purple hair, a boy with a head like an onion and another boy in superhero attire (though he had no actual super-abilities).

I watched it at night, when the Dutch cartoon channel switched over to it's American counterpart. I was 13 or 14, just old enough to be awake while everyone else was asleep, which was part of the fun, I guess.. but I remember really enjoying the show because of it was easy going and a little weird. It wasn't overtly funny and the strangeness of the characters wasn't exploited much in the jokes. Instead, all the odd types blended into the realistic environment of a suburban town, somewhere in America.

The colours were nice, too.
i'm the only other person who remembers fatdog mendoza, there was a scientist with a closet with four monkeys who was trying to recreate the complete works of shakespeare, in every episode

it ruled, i think it only ran for 13 episodes but what a 13 episodes that was

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6ZSyINWND4 dig that funky title theme
he looked upon the world and saw it was still depraved :fvkk:

Overall: Rotton egg for breakfast
Aplsos
ill make a meal of you

Post by Aplsos »

<embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x9hq0k_b ... &related=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="336" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed>

edit: higher quality
Last edited by Aplsos on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
r
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

^^^ it's like moebius and jack kirby had a beautiful beautiful baby with the "space harrier" development team as the maternity ward staff

anyway. let's talk about dead leaves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTm19juIP_g starts slowly, picks up after 1 minute. youtube quality doesn't do it justice but you can watch the whole thing on there. buy the dvd, it's short but worth it

_god_
is smoking

Post by _god_ »

Superjail, but that's just me.

unfortunately there's only 8 episodes out right now, but there's more promised in the future. enjoy the well-drawn violence.
Aplsos
ill make a meal of you

Post by Aplsos »

Zenith Nadir wrote:anyway. let's talk about dead leaves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTm19juIP_g starts slowly, picks up after 1 minute. youtube quality doesn't do it justice but you can watch the whole thing on there. buy the dvd, it's short but worth it
i already did buy it!!! i own it!!!! on dvd already!!!!

didn't "you shall die by your own evil creation," the other fletcher hanks compilation, come out recently? I Need To Buy That.
r
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

well. maybe you should buy it again.

i like the idea of fletcher hanks but there always seems to be something i want to buy more. "cages" got a paperback rerelease recently, i'm holding out for that

ps. i literally just finished portal for the first time, damn that game's great

Quantum P.
Level 17 Accordion Thief

Post by Quantum P. »

Parts of that Birdy Nam Nam video Aplsos posted (outdoor landscape, blue guy) remind me of Fantastic Planet. It's a surreal animated film with giant aliens and tiny humans. One of the first lines is: "Oh. You killed it. Now we won't be able to play with it anymore."
Microwave
hi

Post by Microwave »

That's what I was thinking as well.
Commodore
fgsdfs

Post by Commodore »

another sci-fi animated film by that guy, Light Years, is really good too, and maybe a bit easier to understand. I too thought that looked similar.

fletcher hanks is the real deal.

he's the comic equivalent to e. e. smith.
*POW* *CLANK* *PING*
Zenith Nadir
this is my hammer

Post by Zenith Nadir »

reading this thread back is annoying because that cages book got delayed and i still want it, augh

anyway. i'm here to say that zdzislaw beksinski was a fuckin awesome painter. i became aware of him a few years ago through the somethingawful gbs "fuck the ocean from orbit not mind safe" crowd, thought he was pretty keen, and mostly forgot about him. turns out that the few art books collecting his work that cost upwards of $300 each outside of poland are relatively available here and i bought one for a fraction of that amount and have another on special order. you may not be in poland but you should look at his paintings, they're basically 20 years ahead of their time but will forever be referred to as "lovecraftian" by idiots. he dead now

he also did a bunch of photoshop manips that are kind of awful in the years before his murder but let's not talk about those. his stuff from the 70's is the good shit

:blazkowicz: